And why wouldn't he be? After all, West Virginia University has lost two excellent coaches in 2007 to Michigan. Gov. Manchin examined the situation and came to the conclusion that "high-priced agents" are to blame. In a press release, he writes, "[U]nfortunately, over the last two years, I have seen Rich become a victim of a college coaching system driven by high-priced agents that has turned those dreams into just another back-room business deal...I wish Rich and his family nothing but the best, but I challenge everyone in our state and across this country to start looking more closely at the system that we’ve allowed these agents to create, because in the end, it serves no one well but them."
Is this Governor serious? The notion that agents are the creators and only exploiters of the marketplace for college coaches is beyond absurd. Rich Rodriguez's agent gets paid roughly 5% of the total value of the coaching deal. The other 95% goes to his client, Coach Rodriguez. Using Gov. Manchin's illogical thinking, it is Rodriguez who deserves the majority of blame, not agents. Back to reality: The marketplace for college coaches is created wholly by what one institution believes a particular coach is worth. Let's hope Gov. Manchin understands basic economic theory a bit better when it comes to more important affairs of his state.
Related post: The interesting market for college football coaches