Chicago Cub manager Lee Elia going off on the Wrigley Field bums is the most poetic rant of all time As a kid growing up in Chicago, I could recite the Pledge of Allegiance and this:
They are really behind you around here. My f------ a--. What the f--- am I supposed to do? Go out there and let my f------ players get destroyed everyday? And be quiet about it? For the nickel dime people that show up. The mother f------ don't even work. That's why they are out at the f------- game. They outta go out and get a f------- job and find out what it's like to go and earn a f------ living. 85% of the f------ world is world is working. The other 15% come out here.
Warning: This is the version without 10,000 bleeps.
Lee Elia is an underrated orator. Perhaps lost in the torrent of F bomb is some very skillfully delivered arguments."Right now, we have more losses than we have wins. The f------- changes that have happened in the Cubs organization are multifold. Alright, they don't show because we're 5-14. Unfortunately, that's the criteria [pronounced criterier] of them dumb 15 mother------- percent that come out to day baseball."
Beyond the F bombs, Elia had a pretty simple, sound view of baseball: "The name of the game is hit the ball, catch the ball and get the f----- job done."
UPDATE: Chicago Trib writer Teddy Greenstein looks back, including a great Sportsphone reference...as a kid I would call that 976# every 15 minutes to get score updates, much to my mother's chagrin. Jeff Davis, a good friend who wrote detailed biographies of Pete Rozelle and Papa Bear, was then Channel 5's sports producer. Davis recalls: "I never heard anyone go off like that with that kind of language. And I was in the Navy."